Last Updated: 09/20/19
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
When you open an account with BookShout, we ask you to provide certain information such as your first name, last name, email address, and ask you to create a password. We also collect information when you participate in any interactive features of the Services, read an eBook you purchase from us or that we redeem for you, fill out a form, participate in a contest or promotion, make a purchase, apply for a job, communicate with us via third party social media sites, sign up for our information list and newsletter, request customer support or otherwise communicate with us, or any other information you choose to provide to us.
Information About Your Use of the Services
We collect information about your use of the Services. For example, when you read a book, we collect information on how much progress you made, how quickly you read it, and how many books you read within a time period to help you track your goals and to make smarter book recommendations to you. We also collect information about books you redeem through offers from our partners.
Automatically Collected Information
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
• Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, app version, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
• Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
With your consent, we may also collect information stored on your device such as your contacts list, your device storage, and your camera. For information on how to manage your preferences, please the Your Choices section below.
• Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies:
We use different technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, please see "Your Choices" below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to publishers with whom we partner to fulfill your eBook orders or promotions as well as from publicly available sources. Additionally, if you create or log into your account through a social media site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account information, and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site.
Use of Information
We may use the information we collect to provide, maintain, and improve our Services, to customize your experience, provide you with statistics on how you read, make book recommendations to you, fulfill your orders, and to administer your account. We may also use the information we collect to:
• Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages, as well as to respond to your comments, questions and customer service requests;
• Communicate with you about products, services, offers, and events offered by RethinkBooks and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
• Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
• Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of RethinkBooks and others;
• Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
• Facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards; and
• Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
• With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
• With publishers who partner with us to fulfill your eBook orders and with partners on whose behalf we fulfill promotions you redeem, with your consent;
• In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
• If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of RethinkBooks or others;
• In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company;
• Between and among RethinkBooks and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership; and
• With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you but could potentially be used to identify your device. For example, we may share aggregated data about how people use our Services.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing or login features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook "Like" button), which let you share actions you take, such as books you’ve read or passages you like, on our Services with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Analytics Services Provided by Others
We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
Transfer of Information to the U.S. and Other Countries
RethinkBooks is based in the United States and we process and store information in the U.S. As such, we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal data receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
You may update, correct or delete information about you at any time by emailing us at email@example.com. If you wish to delete or deactivate your account, you can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from BookShout by following the instructions in those emails or by emailing us at email@example.com. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send you promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Device Content on the Mobile Application
With your consent, we may access information on your mobile device such as your contacts list, your device storage, and your camera. You can always withdraw such access by going into your device settings and removing the application’s access to that information. Please note that if you enable access and then remove that access, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services and of certain features of the mobile application.
European Economic Area
If you are in the European Economic Area (“EEA”**, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data.
Legal Basis for Processing
If you are in the EEA, when we process your personal data we will only do so in the following situations:
• We need to use information about you to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you such as to process your orders and provide the Services you have requested;
• We have a legitimate interest in processing information about you. For example, we may process information about you to send you marketing communications, to communicate with you about changes to our Services, and to provide, secure, and improve our Sites and Services;
• We need to process information about you to comply with our legal obligations;
• We may process information about you with your consent, which you may revoke at any time (see the “Your Choices” section above). For example, when you choose to redeem a free eBook from one of our partners, we will ask for your consent before we share information with the promotion provider.
Data Subject Requests
If you are in the EEA, you have the right to access personal data we hold about you and to ask that your personal data be corrected, erased, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions or Complaints
If you are in the EEA and have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you reside. For contact details of your local Data Protection Authority, please see: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm
If you are a resident of the EEA, you may contact our representative here or at the below addresses:
VeraSafe Ireland Ltd. Unit 3D North Point House
North Point Business Park
New Mallow Road
VeraSafe Netherlands BV Keizersgracht 391 A
1016 EJ Amsterdam